Sunday, January 24, 2010

8 Weeks to Go!

Eight weeks from today I'll be in Virgina Beach running the Shamrock Marathon - woo-hoo! Last Sunday I did my 14 mile run as scheduled. For the first 12 miles I was comfortably ahead of my 10 minute pace - which is my goal for the 26.2 miles. The last two miles I fell off that pace, but still finished 10 seconds ahead of my overall goal time for the 14 mile run. I tend to run my long training runs at a slower pace then I do during the actual race. I think all the excitement and adrenalin of race day, plus having all the other runners around you, help you pick your pace on race day. So, I figure if I can maintain a 10 minute training pace over 20 miles, I should be able to be close to that (due to the excitement of race day) over the additional 6.2 miles as well. Don't think I'm being naive however about that last 10K, I know it's a bear - been there, done that. As I mentioned last post I believe, I can actually do a 10:18 pace and still PR by about 10 minutes - so I've built in a fudge factor if I'm having a bad day, the weather sucks, or whatever!


Today I am scheduled for 16 miles and once the weather clears this afternoon, I'll be on it! I'll miss most of the Colts-Jets game because that's when I'll be running; but I'll catch every minute of the Saints (Who DAT!) puttin' a whoopin' on the Vikings! GO SAINTS!



I start a new position at work tomorrow which will be much more demanding and will most likely cut into my personal (training) time quite a bit. Hopefully I can finish out my Shamrock training before things get too crazy at work in the new position! This will be a challenge for sure.



All for now...except the song for today! Today's Song of the Blog is Swingin' School by Bobby Rydell - an oldie but a goodie!



I'll report out on how my 16 mile run went later!



Ciao - keep runnin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment